Sunday, April 25, 2010

Photo editing on Picnik 1

Picnik is an awesome site for making your photos look really cool. If you think you probably won't be able to understand how to do anything on photoshop, but still like editing photos like me, this is the site for you. Most of the things you can do on there are free (no registration required), but you can get more out of it if you become a premium user. Unfortunately I'm not, but I still love Picnik anyway.
I decided to do a couple of demonstrations of editing photos on Picnik with some photos I took and photos off the internet. So here they are (click on them to enlarge them):
Fancy collages: Valentine's Day Pack 1. I just got two black & white photos via google images and vwalla! Fancy collages are really cool for giving a theme to your photos, if you know what I mean, and a finishing touch. They look really good, and are helpful for scrapbooking.

Embellishments: Stickers, borders & text can add a personal touch to photos. I used a photo of my beautiful and beloved cat Sammy, who I sorely miss every day. I'm going to move onto the next photo now for fear that I'll start crying.

Effects: These are to make your photos look uber cool. There are heaps of really cool effects to chose from and it took me a long time to settle on what ones to do for the demonstration. I used fairly simple effects on this photo of the girl running with the balloons, but I think they still look pretty good. To me the above photo kind of looks like daytime and dusk. Except the sky's slightly orange and her balloons have changed colour. Oh well! I used HSL Filter in Sandbox Effects for that effect. The bottom one shows an effect that I use all the time. I just made it black & white, and then used a paint brush to make the balloons their original colour. Simple but effective. Funny that.

Touch-up: Last but not least, this demonstrates the main purpose of Picnik; to make your photos look nicer. For this photo that I took at the Hamilton Gardens (which is the best place in Hamilton for great photo opportunities, in my opinion), I tweaked the colours so they looked brighter and fuller, and also sharpened it. If you enlarge the picture you might be able to see that in the right version of the picture you can see a bit of dewy-looking stuff on the flower. I think it might be rain, because it had been misting over a bit when I was there.

So there you have it, a demonstration of how great and easy to use Picnik is. What's also really cool about it is that whenever it's a special season, like Halloween or Christmas, they have themed stickers, fonts & borders. I had a lot of fun last year making myself look like a vampire when it was Halloween. Try it out; I've included the link at the top of this post. Have fun!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment